General Terms for the Provision of Courier Services within the Country
1. “ELTA COURIER S.A.”, hereafter the Company, provides emergency transport services for documents, press and goods in Greece under the following terms, which the sender or their legal representative declares they unreservedly accept.
2. The Company undertakes the transport of its customers (senders) items from the point of their collection or deposition to the point of their delivery (the items will be delivered to the addressee in person or to any other person will be present at their address) as fast as possible and under the highest possible security, according to the present general terms for the provision of courier services within the country and for a price determined by its pricelist in effect at each time.
3. The sender guarantees that he/she is the owner or legal holder of the said items and accepts that the present form has been filled by him-/herself or by the Company on their behalf. They also declare that by the present they accept these terms, either individually or by their status as representative of the owner or holder of the items to be forwarded.
4. The Voucher is a document-agreement (personal contract) and proof of collection, binding and nonnegotiable. The Voucher is not a tax document.
5. The sender has to clearly and fully describe the content of the item forwarded with the present Voucher, especially if this is frail or fragile. Also, the sender guarantees that: a) The content of the item sent is the one described, b) all the necessary information about the sender, as well as the addressee have been correctly noted and c) the item sent has been packaged so that its safe dispatch can be achieved. The Company has the right to deny the collection and/or discontinue the dispatch of the sent items if the obligations mentioned in the present are not respected, whereas in the same case, the sender assumes the liability to pay all additional expenses that might occur during the dispatch, the return or the storage of those items.
6. The sender has the duty and responsibility of the secure and resistant packaging of the items, depending on their content. If the content of the items is damaged during their transportation and handling, due to their not secure and appropriate packaging, the Company is acquitted of any liability for the remuneration of this damage.
7. The Company does not undertake the transport and handling of items with the following content:
Explosives, inflammable material, radioactive material, corrosive substances, compressed gases, drugs, poisons, antiquities, objects of art, food that may turn rotten, alive or dead animals, plants and, in general, items that by their nature or their packing may be self-destroyed or destroy other items or items whose handling and transportation is banned by ΙATA.
It also does not undertake the transportation and handling of foreign currency or cash on behalf of occasional customers. To avoid the delivery for transport of the foresaid items, the Company has the right to, but is not required to check the item that it undertakes to transport, or even to open it. When the sender for any reason submits for delivery such items, the company, as soon as it realizes their presence, has the right to handle them at its own judgment, including the prompt discontinuation of transportation, disclaiming any further responsibility, while the postage paid is not reimbursed. The sender is always the only responsible for the damages that may be caused to individuals or other items by false declaration of the content.
8. Gold, silver, precious stones or precious metals cannot be sent but only as items of “Declared Value”. The shipment of such items necessitates a specific declaration to the Tax Office and special insurance on the expense of the sender only.
9. The Company undertakes also the handling of shipments for which the addressee will be charged. In case the above fee is not paid by the addressee for any reason, the sender has the liability to pay the Company. And, until the fee is paid by either the sender or the addressee, the Company has the right to withhold the item sent.
10. The sender has the responsibility of the insurance of the items, especially when they contain valuables or items of particular commercial usefulness.
11. For shipments where the Company has no branches, the handling of the items is performed by agents.
12. When, for any reason, an item is not delivered to the addressee, it is returned to the sender, without any further charge than that paid for its shipment. If, for any reason, the item after having been returned cannot be delivered to its sender, it remains for a period of six (6) months at the facilities of the Company, with the foreseen fee. After the end of this period, the item is considered definitely undelivered; the procedure of destruction will be followed, the relevant minutes will be drawn and the Company will bear no other liability.
13. In case sound reasons exist, the addressee has the right to receive the item with reservation.
14. In case of total damage or loss of the content of the items sent and if the responsibility parts to the Company, the latter has to pay only the remuneration below, the amount of which is defined as follows:
a) For a proven loss or complete theft of total damage of the content of the envelope, the remuneration due is equal to the amount of 50€ per item plus the reimbursement of the postage paid for this particular shipment.
b) For a proven loss or complete theft of total damage of the content of the parcel, the remuneration due is equal to the amount of 100€ per item plus the reimbursement of the postage paid for this particular shipment.
c) For a proven partial loss or partial theft of partial damage of the content of an envelope or parcel, the remuneration due is equal to the real value of the loss or theft or damage, provided that it does not exceed the amount of the remuneration paid for loss or complete theft or total damage. The real value is defined as the cost of restitution, repair or reproduction of the content.
In no case is the commercial utility or the particular value the items have for the sender, the addressee or any third party taken into account for the calculation of the amount of the remuneration.
15. For shipping of items of high value and when the liability of the Company is increased, in case of damage or loss of their content, the Company provides the sender the possibility of insurance and offers the “Declared Value” service against a fixed charge of 4,20€ plus VAT and proportional charge on the amount of the declared value. The upper limit for goods is defined at the amount of 15,000 Εuro per item, whereas for the documents it is defined at the amount of 734 Εuro per item. The exact amount of the declared value is always defined based on the real value of the item sent, which the sender has to describe precisely and in full. The Company has also the right to examine the content of the item it undertakes to dispatch as of declared value, as well as the truth about what has been declared by the sender.
16. In case of total damage or loss of an item of declared value, the amount of the remuneration is that of the declared value – if there is a proven damage and if the sender provides the Company a receipt or an invoice or a dispatch note proving the value of the item, as well as the report of a special expert –, whereas the postage paid for this particular shipment is reimbursed.
In case of proven partial damage or partial loss of an item of declared value, the amount of the remuneration is that of the declared value of the partial loss or damage. As real value the expense for the repair or restitution of the content is considered, which can be proved by the customer with the provision of a report of a special expert, as well as a receipt, an invoice or a dispatch note about the destroyed item. The remuneration paid cannot exceed the amount of the declared value.
17. If an item is returned and the cause for it not being delivered is proven to be unknown, the sender has the right to claim the reimbursement of the postage expenses.
18. In case of delayed delivery, proven to be due exclusively to the Company, a remuneration equal to 6 € per day of delay is paid and in case the delay exceeds five times the agreed delivery time, the postage paid for this particular shipment is added to the above amount, provided that the total amount of remuneration does not exceed the provisions above (term 14 a & b) for the cases of loss and by no means can it exceed the amount of 100 €.
19. The request for the exercise of any relevant right by the user has to be submitted in written to the Company within the exclusive deadline of six (6) months starting from the next day of the date of deposit of the item to be forwarded. It is necessary to provide the original Voucher.
20. In the case of a multiple shipment, when many items are sent to an addressee and the case falls into the above ones, each item sent is dealt with differently and is remunerated separately.
21. The remuneration for the above cases is paid to the sender or, if he/she waivers his/her rights, to the addressee. The remuneration for moral damage is included in the above amounts, whereas the implicit profit loss is not remunerated.
22. The Company bears no liability and does not pay any remuneration in the following cases:
a) in delays due to force majeure or delay in the transportation means without responsibility of the Company or due to responsibility of the sender, the addressee of their representatives.
b) for loss or damage of items, for which the sender or the addressee is responsible, or of items the shipment of which the Company does not undertake, according to term 7 of the present.
c) for loss or damage resulting from inappropriate packaging or the nature of the item or unexpected and extraordinary events, naturally beyond human capabilities, as, indicatively, but not limited to, accidents, strikes, weather conditions, criminal acts at the facilities or the transportation means.
d) for any direct or indirect positive or consequential damage, income, profit, purchase or use loss, rupture of contracts etc., either due to the Company, customers or third parties or not.
e) if the relevant request is not submitted within the deadline mentioned in term 19 of the present.
f) in case the addressee has received the item sent without any reservation and therefore it is considered that the item has been properly delivered.
g) when the sender, although this is within his/her obligations, has not fully and explicitly described the content of the item sent or has not seen to the appropriate packing or has not written fully and correctly the addressee’s information.
h) in case the contractual obligations of the users are not met and, especially, if they have not paid the relevant fee to the Company; then the latter is entitled to compensate any eventual debts by remunerations or by withholding of their items.
23. In the cases when more specific agreements apply, and, especially, in the cases when contracts are signed for multiple items or for the provision of mail services for long time periods, with special price privileges and management adopted to the at each time applying requests, the particular contractual terms are in effect. In such a case, the remuneration paid at each time for total loss, theft or damage of envelope or parcel is equal to the real value of the lost, stolen or damaged item, as this is proven by the receipts and proof documents provided, as well in the condition, according to the above, that it does not exceed the amount of 50 € for envelopes and the amount of 100 € for parcels.
24. No agent, employee or representative of the Company or the sender have the right to unilaterally raise or amend the above terms.
25. For any question, complaint or problem, the consumers can address to the Company’s, Customer Service, dialing 11120 or at the website www.elta-courier.gr. In case of disputes that were not resolved, the Company can summon, after a relevant written request, the Dispute Resolution Committee.
26. The Courts of Athens are competent for the resolution of any dispute, after an eventual ineffectual procedure in front of the Dispute Resolution Committee of the Company.